I’ve been a wee bit quiet lately, and some of that is in part due to focussing narrowly on writing a paper as part of my Ph.D. When you spend all day making coffee, so the analogy goes, the last thing you want to do when you get home is drink another coffee. I’ve spent my spare time meeting up with people, strengthening social bonds, and generally not doing much writing at all.
However, this weekend I got some time together, and I decided to spend it polishing up a ruby library I’ve been working on. I now have a ruby gem published, sitting out in the wild, waiting for someone to use it to make awesome things.
rb-dayone, and it’s basically a way of creating DayOne entries through ruby. Currently it exists as both a ruby library and as a command-line interface, although it won’t do images or locations or weather or any of the fancy stuff that Bloom recently put into DayOne - I need something to do for my next rainy day, after all.
It was quite an experience getting everything set up. I went through a couple of different gem development libraries before deciding that rolling my own was the best thing to do (although I could easily be persuaded that this isn’t the case). Still, it’s let me get more proficient at unit testing, Rakefiles, xml, and the rather excellent
builder library, which I inadvertently ended up duplicating a bunch of the functionality for.
So yeah. It’s my first gem (or at least, my first gem released to the public). Be gentle.
Leave a comment